In my position at Maryland Institute College of Art, I maintain the library’s digital presence. In 2017, the Digital Initiatives team undertook a complete information architecture redesign project. The project was broken down into the following phases:
- Phase I: Understanding the information architecture of the original site.
- This included creating a content inventory and site map of the site in its original state.
- Phase II: Research and user testing.
- Academic institutions which had user-centered designed websites were researched.
- A closed card sort was performed with students, staff, and faculty.
- A proposed site map was developed.
- Phase III: Site copy and reorganization
- Site copy was developed using Google Drive and assigned out to different areas of the library.
- Phase IV: Implementation and results
For more on each phase, head over to the Digital Initiatives Unit.
Where the library website started:
The library website after the UX project: